Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First Drafts

I've spent a lot of my summer reading stories on inkpop. Some of the stories (coughanythingbyyuffieproductions) look like they belong on bookshelves. Hell, I spent a good ten minutes comparing her stories to some of the books on my shelves. Her's were better than a good deal of 'em. But reading inkpop is disheartening to a writing n00b like me. So many of the stories are in their first draft stage and they defy the only rule of first drafting. (Ok, one of the many rules) What is that rule? You may ask. (No, not really. Thinking the question's fine. If you actually asked your computer that aloud, you may want to consider seeing a therapist) Well, the rule I was talking about is the rule that "First Drafts Must Suck". In Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott it's something more like "First drafts have permission to suck" (not the exact words) but in my case, it's just "First Drafts Must Suck". Actually, it's more like "All my writing must suck" but you get my point. (No, actually you don't. There's too much rambling and not enough getting to the point)

Ok, that's a way cuter verson of my face when I read a good first draft. Just image less fur, smaller ears that are on the side of my head, 90 more lbs, and a piggie face.


Hmmm...I think I may have strayed a little too much off topic because I don't remember what the point to this post was. Something about first drafts, obviously because of the title...Uh, oh yeah. I have to keep reminding myself that first drafts can suck. Even though the first drafts on inkpop don't, mine can. It's the only that keeps me from chucking my laptop at the wall and screaming. It's hard, but afterwards I can go back and (try to) fix everything. I need to make a poster that says "The point of a first draft is to get your shit on the paper" and hang it in my room. Forget the fact that my mom hates when I cuss and that there's a high chance that she'd tear it down and burn it. (Shit on paper. Better start smearing poop around like a monkey...)

Well, I should get back to drafting but I can't stand the sight of my own writing. So I'll just hide in the corner and grow mushrooms because school starts in a week. (Ouran high school host club referance, anyone?)

**Therapist - Has anyone else noticed that "therapist" is "the rapist" minus the space? Hmmmm...
***OHMYGAWD SCHOOL STARTS IN A WEEK AND I'M GONNA DIE! I HATE SCHOOL! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TIME TRAVEL ME BACK TO JUNE WHEN SUMMER VACATION WAS JUST STARTING!

2 comments:

  1. aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! The rapist!!! child therapists are like pedobear....eww
    Btw, love that cat.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete